About Me

My photo
After years of sloth, I am now a mama who runs and practices yoga. I write about exercise; parenting a grownup child as well as two little kids; and whatever is annoying me at the moment.

Tuesday, August 5, 2014

Princesses of the park

My 3-year-old daughter a week ago figured out how to pedal her tiny pink Disney princess bike. And now she wants to ride it all.the.time.

"Mommy. I want to ride my bike. Mommy, can I ride my bike? When can I ride my bike? I can ride fast now. I want to ride my bike all the way to the beach. (We are a few miles from Lake Michigan). I am going to ride fast! I am going to beat my brother!" (They love beating each other. A lot.)

This weekend she was able to get herself pedaling from a stopped position, no longer needing the little push she requires last weekend. She was indignant when I tried to help.

It's awesome.

Little artists at work
At the park the other day, she was suddenly keeping up with her super-fast climber monkey of a brother. No playground equipment was too high to scamper up, and there was nothing her brother could do that she couldn't so either. 

As she was doing all I this, she chattered away. "I can climb high! I can do anything!" I am strong!"

And, "Mommy, we're princesses of the park!" High praise, considering princesses are the best thing ever in her world.

If only I could freeze the confidence she has. I'd save it  in an ice cube tray  that I could pull out of the fridge as needed when, later in life, she developers doubts. Or someone puts doubts in her head. God.

***

Speaking of confidence and strong girls, last week was my first "official" of 16 weeks of ultra training.

Monday Yoga DVD
Tuesday 5.3 miles + core work
Wednesday Hill workout -- 4.7 miles running back & forth over Cricket Hill with friends
Thursday 8.2 miles + core work/physical therapy
Friday   Rest day
Saturday  13 miles -- trail run
Sunday  5.6 miles
Week one total mileage: 36.8 miles



2 comments:

  1. Nice mileage to start your ultra training! That 4.7 hill workout sounds like a killer!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Pete! How is the DIY training plan going? I am in awe of your weekly mileage!

    ReplyDelete