About Me

My photo
After years of sloth, I am now a mama who runs and practices yoga. I write about exercise; parenting a grownup child as well as two little kids; and whatever is annoying me at the moment.

Saturday, August 31, 2013

Let the marathon taper begin: Five things I love

As of today, I'm tapering my mileage for my sixth marathon three weeks from now in Omaha! Woot woot!

This was a challenging last week, running-wise, after I tweaked my hamstring during last Saturday's long run.

Of course I sort of flipped out in my own head and panicked that I had messed up my hamstring. I took a couple days off and iced, and ran again on Wednesday. It didn't hurt, but I could feel something there... shoot.

I called a physical therapist, figuring I needed a conservative plan to get me to the race healthy. I was braced being to be told "don't run anymore" and do some kind of cross-training instead -- I was okay with that, as long as I had some kind of substitute plan to follow. I love plans.

However, the PT after asking lots of questions said, oh, you can still run (yay!). But instead of doing the 20-miler I should have done today, she said to just do 12 since I've already got one 20-miler under my belt, two weeks ago. Rats, so bummed to not do another 20-mile run. KIDDING.

So I now have daily stretches and exercises I have to do, and... tiger balm. OMG, why is this stuff not being mass-marketed. It is so awesome. It's $8.29 at Walgreen's. Rub it on a sore spot a few times a day and it purportedly warms up the tissues and increases blood circulation. My hamstring issue cleared right up within a day or so. It smells really strong, with a strong cloves smell that makes me want pumpkin pie. It rocks.
Here's four more things I've discovered this summer...




My sad, old hair seems to like It's a 10! Miracle Leave-in Plus Keratin, amazon.com, $14.48. Spray this stuff on damp hair and hair does really dry smoother and maybe even a little shinier. Go ahead, touch my hair.







I also like Boots No7 Total Renewal Micro-Dermabrasion Exfoliator, Target.com, $15.79. I fantasize about getting chemical peels, facials and a little necklift now. Then I look inside my wallet, smack myself a little and hit Target. This little product is a great scrub/exfoliator on damp skin every few days.






Thanks to my running friend Shaun, I discovered Skinny Pop this summer. So good and scant calories. I'm not even going to write a description. Just get over to Walgreen's and grab some bags now before I do. I have no idea how much it costs. Nor do I care. YUM.



My Mizuno Waveriders 16s need replacing, so I called over to a local running store to have them hold a pair. After they told me sure, but we have them in orange and blue or purple and green, I was like, NO, I WANT MY PINK ONES. (Wonder where my daughter gets her love of pink, hmm.) Fortunately the Internet came through and I supported a mass market retailer instead of a local business, but I'm getting another pair of my pink awesome shoes soon. Just in time to break them in before the marathon. Yes, I'll be wearing pink shoes. Yay!

(Note: all things were personally purchased by me. No publicists, no freebies = pure reviews!)

1 comment:

  1. I love reading "run like a momma" cause it's written just like Tammy is sitting there talking to me! Love it!

    ReplyDelete