About Me

My photo
After years of sloth, I am now a mama who runs and practices yoga. I write about exercise; parenting a grownup child as well as two little kids; and whatever is annoying me at the moment.

Tuesday, August 27, 2013

What is this feeling I am experiencing?!

I'm mostly myself these days. But there is something a little, well, off. 

Last week I got a random bug that, five days later, has still all but quashed my appetite. Which, this far into marathon training, is normally off-the-charts, rivaling that of a high school boy. (Since I have raised a high school boy, I speak with authority on this.)

Then there was the hamstring tweak on Saturday. Initially I freaked, since this week is my last full week of training for the marathon before taper -- a 46-mile week awaited me.

And then I got some good advice. A runner friend said hey bonehead, think of all of those mornings you got up before the sunrise to log in quality runs. Dont risk getting an injury because you're tied to a training schedule.

I do not follow advice very well sometimes.

I also love lists. To-do lists, and that satisfactory feeling of checking off things that have been accomplished. 

Same goes for following a training schedule. I love following a schedule, I learned, and feeling that sense of, yeah, I can do this thing.

So maybe it was the lingering nausea from whatever the hell that bug was last week that, in combination with my hamstring growling, that I just stopped. I didn't run yesterday, nor today. I ignored the urge to check a box.

The way my brain is wired, this is just not something I would normally do with ease.

And yet, yesterday and as of this writing this morning, I'm feeling strangely zen about it. (I am not a zen person. I check my watch during yoga and I don't like my food touching other food on my plate.)

I have slept in till 5:30 am the last two days. The last two evenings, I have enjoyed talked to my husband. I don't feel like hell. The kids seem extra cute. OMG. This is kind of nice.

Of course since I'm feeling good, I may be tempted to try a run tomorrow... :)


No comments:

Post a Comment