About Me

My photo
After years of sloth, I am now a mama who runs and practices yoga. I write about exercise; parenting a grownup child as well as two little kids; and whatever is annoying me at the moment.

Monday, October 18, 2010

Pulling for my mom

Last week my 62-year-old mom had oral surgery. During the procedure she suffered what has been described as a mild stroke. Among many of the things relayed to me by my sister and my dad, all of whom live in Omaha, is that one of her doctors has again warned her that she must quit smoking or she will die very young. She has been on my mind all weekend. As an ex-smoker, I know the uphill battle she faces. It's one of the hardest things I've ever done.

She got home from the hospital on Sunday, three days after going into the hospital, all without a cigarette. Naturally she reached for them when she got home -- hey, it sounds crazy, but that's what addicts do -- and they were gone, tossed out as I understand it. I am hoping that she is still cigarette-free as I write this. I'm pulling for you, Mom -- you can do this! I love you!

No comments:

Post a Comment