About Me

My photo
After years of sloth, I am now a mama who runs and practices yoga. I write about exercise; parenting a grownup child as well as two little kids; and whatever is annoying me at the moment.

Sunday, November 8, 2015

Saying "I love you" on Snapchat

My son Tory was home recently for his 23rd birthday. I had just upgraded my phone to the iPhone 6, and so I gave him my old-but-still-working 4s. Baby's first iPhone!

"Yay, I can snapchat again!" He was so excited, since his cheap flip phone is pretty limited.

I thought Snapchat only existed for pictures of guys' junk, thank you Anthony Weiner, so naturally, I was worried.

Of course, Tory just laughed at me.

He does that a lot.

Oh mom, he explained. It's like texting, but with pictures that disappear.

Now, why would you want a picture to disappear? What if you want to look at it again, I demanded to know.

More laughing.

Fortunately, I have a work colleague who also is a millennial.

And he explained snapchat this way: It's like you're sitting in traffic, and it sucks. Instead of posting to Facebook or twitter or texting it to a friend, you Snapchat a photo of the traffic and say "this sucks". The traffic photo isn't something worth saving.

Aha. I *think* I get it now.

(I think that way you're not using up your alloted monthly texts, too, so there's that, though  you're using your phone's data... but I digress.)

So I joined Snapchat. And struggled a little to work it. (Tip: write your message first and then take pic)

So one morning this week, I couldn't sleep. I got up at 4 (UGH) and saw from Facebook that Tory was up.

I snapchatted a pic. He snapchatted back. I was like, why are you up?? He asked me the same thing.

We texted, er, I mean, snapchatted dark, grainy selfies to each other and "I love you" messages. He said he was going to bed. I decided to (unsuccessfully) go back to sleep.

I couldn't look at his grainy photo again, because it disappered, but I was still smiling, thinking about it as I laid on the couch downstairs in the dark.

Just days after I joined Snapchat, this great New York Times story published this week. Hey, we're on to something!

I love my boy. I love that Snapchat became a thing for us. I love seeing his goofy smile and "I love you mom" messages that I've gotten from him this week.

Here we are in our goofy glory:











No comments:

Post a Comment