About Me

My photo
After years of sloth, I am now a mama who runs and practices yoga. I write about exercise; parenting a grownup child as well as two little kids; and whatever is annoying me at the moment.

Friday, January 28, 2011

A seat at the table -- women on corporate boards

This story -- almost ecstaticly --points out that the percentage of women on the boards of directors for the biggest companies in Chicago has risen to its highest level ever. That "level" is 15.3 percent, folks.

This is according to a group called the Chicago Network, a professional women's organization. I wish I could share the actual study with you, but unfortunately the group doesn't seem to have it up on its Web site -- or at least, in a spot I could find it.

The study apparently goes on to say, according to the news story, that the number of women on Chicago corporate boards increased to 85 -- which was the highest one-year increase.

This is pathetic, folks, not good news. It's 2011 and women are still horrendously underrepresented. I've written this story before, back in my reporting days, and the reasons for paltry representation probably haven't changed much. Women with kids face daunting challenges trying to juggle everything. Dads face unfair pressure because they're *supposed* to work more -- how many of us know male colleagues who were able to leave work early to see their kid's mid-afternoon baseball game, without a lot of tsking-tsking or tongue-wagging?

I suppose I'm sensitive right now because I'm still trying to find a job after being laid off three months ago tomorrow. I waddle into interviews now with a big ol' pregnant belly. And I know I'm judged. I want to tell people, hey, I have a brain and I'd like to use it! When I was pregnant with my first son, who is now 18, the editor at the paper I worked at went around telling people behind my back that he was pretty sure I wouldn't be back after I gave birth. That still stings to this day. Lots of helpful folks keep telling me that I should enjoy my time off with my kids and maybe even be a stay-at-home mom.  I know they're well-intentioned, but UGH. I really, really, really want to work at something meaningful and be challenged and busy and a little crazed everyday and enjoy my family time, too. Oh, and run a marathon once a year and shorter races throughout. It's how I function best, and it makes me happy. Really happy.

So what does this all have to do with women on corporate boards? Well, I think if women have families and if sick kids, pregnancy, whatever starts to overlap into our professional lives we are judged. Guys have different pressures -- they're just expected to work, work, work and that's that. My husband was judged unfairly when he took a full three months of paternity leave with our toddler son -- people were actually incredulous. One guy even told him that he'd change his mind once our son arrived and he'd want to go back to the office in a couple of weeks. I'm proud that my husband took the time off. He's still happy he did.

I'm not sure what the answer is for women. I just know that extolling "15 percent" is pretty damn sad.

No comments:

Post a Comment