About Me

My photo
After years of sloth, I am now a mama who runs and practices yoga. I write about exercise; parenting a grownup child as well as two little kids; and whatever is annoying me at the moment.

Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Anger management

Since I took up running four years ago, I've sometimes been teased by friends -- good-natured teasing -- about why on earth would I want to run? Hello? Is someone chasing you? Hahahaha.

My pat response is so I can eat a lot. Which I do. But there are more reasons we runners run. Many times, including lately, it's gone beyond wanting to be fit or work off dessert after dinner. Frankly, it's keeping me from strangling someone. Seriously. I'd shoot myself in the foot if I went into what I'm angry and stressed about these days, so I'll stay quiet for now. But running, oh my God, is such a savior. I never, ever feel the same or worse after a run, no matter how friggin mad or stressed I am at the beginning of a run. I always, always, always feel better.

That's why I loved this story today about prisoners and ex-prisoners who run. I mean, geez, I think I'm pissed off at the world? Yikes. Running is giving them, and me and other runners around the world, something to let us blow off steam and to focus on. Right now I'm just focused on staying around 20 miles a week and running a half marathon next month, just to have it to focus on. It helps.

2 comments: