About Me

My photo
After years of sloth, I am now a mama who runs and practices yoga. I write about exercise; parenting a grownup child as well as two little kids; and whatever is annoying me at the moment.

Monday, August 18, 2014

Magnificent miles

This past Saturday I had an AWESOME trail run. It was the kind of run I'll be doing this fall, when I do my first 50K race.

Lily pads and loveliness
I attempted to meet with some Flatlanders Ultrarunners, a not-unsizable running group with roots in suburban Chicago that I found through Facebook.

A few of them were starting at Bullfrog Lake at 6:30, though most seem to begin at 8 -- too late of a start for me. I talked my running buddy Andie into coming with me. Good thing, because the Flatlanders were, um, fast. They got us to the start of the trail -- but after that, we were on our own.

The run was glorious and hard. It was hilly and rugged, and also popular with mountain bikers. (Single friends, this is where the guys are!) As I ran, I was giddy. Sweating, struggling at points, but so happy to be out of the city and in woods, on trails, in near-solitude. I kept thinking of that Illinois tourism slogan "mile after magnificent mile." Yup.


 Two days later, I am still so wicked, wicked sore. But still smiling!

Week three, 50K training:

Monday: Rest day/core exercises
Tuesday: 5.3 miles -- super rainy run
Wednesday: 7.6 miles
Thursday: 30-minute spin class + stretch class (in lieu of hill training. I need to stop blowing off hill training)
Friday: Yoga/core exercises
Saturday: 14.4 miles -- trail run!
Sunday: 5.6 dragass miles

Total mileage: 32.9 miles

2 comments: