About Me

My photo
After years of sloth, I am now a mama who runs and practices yoga. I write about exercise; parenting a grownup child as well as two little kids; and whatever is annoying me at the moment.

Sunday, August 24, 2014

Getting ready for kindergarten, not college

The Chicago Public Schools year begins very soon, and we are getting ready for kindergarten and pre-kindergarten in our house.

Uniforms are ordered and delivered, new athletic shoes on their way (Frozen's Elsa for the girl, Despicable Me for the boy. New backpacks, too.). Teachers' names and room numbers, check. School supplies, gotta get on that. Last-ditch vacation/family time, planned.

Princesses, naturally.
Like any parent sending their kid off to kindergarten, I'm excited and anxious for my little M-man. His last two years with Chicago Public Schools, we have been so lucky to have patient, wonderful teachers who worked with him and his behavioral challenges in group settings. I pray his new teacher is just as great, and look forward to meeting her at orientation.

Last week, our neighbors sent off their youngest to college. The truck was parked in front of our house, loaded up. The college-bound girl was beautiful in a maxi dress, a mini-me of her equally beautiful, ageless mother. 

It reminded me of three years ago, when my oldest left for the University of Iowa. I cried for days and my chest ached for weeks. 

Seeing my neighbors saying good-bye made me suddenly so grateful -- no matter how kindergarten goes this year, my babies won't leave home for a long, long time.

And my oldest guy? He still visits. And occasionally responds to my texts. :-)

***

Week 4, 50K ultramarathon training (25% done!!!!):

Monday: rest day
Tuesday, 5.2 miles + core strength exercises
Wednesday, 8 miles
Thursday, 20 min. hill training on treadmill + 20 min yoga DVD
Friday, 18 steamy miles before work. UGH. I felt hungover all morning.
Saturday, 5.3 recovery miles
Sunday, 20 min. yoga/rest day

Total mileage for the week: 38.4 miles
Total training miles to date: 138.3 miles



3 comments:

  1. You brought back memories of both for me. Now an empty nest with visits :)
    PS Impressed by your 50K ultra marathon training!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Even when we know that the kids are leaving for their own betterment the heartache that we feel doesn't fade. When my kids started going to a private school in Toronto I weeped for the entire day. I knew that they will be back home by evening, I knew that they are going to learn and become a better person but still I couldn't stop weeping. And I don't think any mother can.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Empty nest with visits". Well-stated. My college-age son is home this weekend but leaving today, and I know I'll cry again. Never thought I'd be that weepy mama! Thank you Wendy and Anne for commenting -- helps to know there are mamas everywhere feeling the same way... :-)

    ReplyDelete