About Me

My photo
After years of sloth, I am now a mama who runs and practices yoga. I write about exercise; parenting a grownup child as well as two little kids; and whatever is annoying me at the moment.

Monday, January 13, 2014

Burpee mid-term report

Since it's practically mid-January, it's time to revisit the January burpee challenge. The goal -- do 20 burpees every day for the month.

My good news: I've managed to average 20 a day. I say "average" because there have been a few days I forgot and had to double-up and do 40. Puke.

The first 10 have gotten easier, I'm happy to say. The last 10? Puke. Do 40 of them? Double puke.

Here's the thing. It's a super quick overall conditioning exercise. In just a minute or less your heart is pounding. I work up a good sweat running, but nothing like an intense cardio burst like burpees, which jack up the heart rate and challenge cardio fitness and strength.

Kind of like the mice that seem to be staying in my house. After some random sightings, they've definitely settled in as very unwelcome guests.

We had a neighbor cat visit us briefly Sunday to hopefully spread around his kitty scent, but that appears to have worked about as well as me waving my magic mouse-hating wand.

After a teeny, creepy jerk mouse interrupted my Golden Globe watching last night, I decided that was enough.

I hit Ace and loaded up on a four-packe of glue traps and a couple of the DCon non-poison mouse traps, of which one of two in the package was defective. Fantastic.

Tonight, after feeding the kids dinner, I ran downstairs to see if I had any disposable gloves to set up the traps. No luck. Coming back up the stairs, a freaking mouse ran down the stairs. THAT'S IT.

I put a dollop of peanut butter on all of them and place them in hidden corners of the kitchen and basement.

Dear god, I hope this works. I have no idea what to do with them once they're caught. That will be hubby's job.

I like to do my burpees in the basement, which has carpeting. The rest of my house is beautiful but unforgiving wood floors.

Is being scared of a romping mouse excuse enough to miss my final 20 for tonight?

Holy crap, there is one scurrying across the kitchen floor now... My broom is poised...

No comments:

Post a Comment