About Me

My photo
After years of sloth, I am now a mama who runs and practices yoga. I write about exercise; parenting a grownup child as well as two little kids; and whatever is annoying me at the moment.

Thursday, May 26, 2011

Tammy Homemaker

Recently the hub and I found a financial advisor and did some grownup stuff, like rolling over old 401(k)s into IRAs and getting advice on saving for retirement.

So Edward Jones sent me a form to make sure they had my name correct, address, etc. I was looking it over this morning while the little toddler man ate his yogurt when my eyes hit the line "Current occupation: HOMEMAKER." In all caps, even.

Okay, it's bugging me WAY more than it should. I mean, why do I give a shit what Edward Jones thinks I do for a living, right? But it is bugging me. Sunday will mark seven months since I lost my job. In that time I've probably interviewed with a dozen places, countless interviews and yet so far I have no job. (Though one company CEO did actually send me a gently worded rejection letter. I really respected that, actually.) What I have apparently is an identity crisis, haha. Unemployed? On maternity "leave" -- though on leave from WHAT I'm not sure, since I haven't been able to just stop looking for a job with a new mouth to feed? Freelancer? Blogger? Whiner?

And now I'm a homemaker, too, and a lousy one at that. You should see the dust on the TV in my bedroom. My mom raised me better than this. But I feel guilty cleaning my house. I know that sounds really stupid, but I do. I feel like if I spend the time that should be spent really cleaning this place, I am 1. not bringing in money and 2. not getting closer to getting a job. (Mind you, I have no problem spending time blogging about this crap, however! I am lame, I know.) My house is picked up, mostly, but it always needs dusting, sweeping and mopping.

So I'm chewing over what to put in the "occupation" line. "Smartass" doesn't seem quite right. What am I?

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think they don't pay attention when they put that stuff down. When DH and I signed up for life insurance they put his occupation down and put mine as homemaker or soemthing like that. i made them change it :P

    ReplyDelete