About Me

My photo
After years of sloth, I am now a mama who runs and practices yoga. I write about exercise; parenting a grownup child as well as two little kids; and whatever is annoying me at the moment.

Thursday, December 23, 2010

I call it lazy butt syndrome

Before I begin: I am not a doctor. This is just one runner's perspective and not a medical opinion. (Don't want any doctors mad at me or lawyers chasing me!)

I never had knee pain until I picked up running a few years ago, when I was 39, and then only after I had started training for marathons. See, when you start running you get all sorts of advice that newbies are really half-assed about following, like cross-training. OK, maybe just newbies like me. Cross-training means incorporating non-running activities into your weekly workouts to build muscles that don't get worked but that you really, really need when running. Think of activities like yoga, strength-training, spinning, stuff like that.

I got diagnosed with popliteal tendonitis (behind the knee) three weeks before my first marathon in 2007 and went to physical therapy, where I had to do a bunch of exercises to strengthen my core -- hips and legs. Guess what? I started training for another marathon in 2008 and I was back in PT with a different knee pain. I think there were two rounds in all of PT in 2008. I just couldn't get it through my head: I NEED TO CROSS-TRAIN CONSISTENTLY, EVEN OFF-SEASON. (After I ran the St. Louis marathon in spring of 2008 I got an assessment from a personal trainer on my fitness because I was so frustrated with back pain and knee pain. She said I was so out of whack. My top half was extremely weak and bottom half mostly strong. That is not good.)

A big culprit for my knee issues, anyway, (and lots of runners, I understand) were weak gluteus medius muscles -- not the big gluteus maximus muscles most people think of.  They are located under and toward the top of the gluteus maximus (I told you I'm not a doctor, so don't expect a lot of scientific explanation here). Basically, as I understand it, when you have weak muscles in your hips and/or legs your body will rely more heavily on the stronger muscles, which can get overused and lead to injuries. OK, that's as far as my biology lesson goes. I always found it a little amusing that I had a lazy butt.

So The New York Times did a story on gluteus medius tendonosis that's really good and interesting, and a warning for what can happen if you let your core get weak, yikes! The moral of the story is strengthen your core! Keep those muscles strong. I began doing Jillian Michaels' Shred DVD in 2009 and weekly Ashtanga and vinyasa yoga classes this year (now pre-natal yoga and strength workouts appropriate for pregnant chicks) and haven't heard a peep outta my knees in ages. You can try other things besides these -- just make sure you get that cross-training and core work into your week somehow.


Happy running! :-)

2 comments:

  1. Hey Tammy! I've posted this article a dozen times, but I really believe in it. I've recently gotten lazy with my "hip routine" and all sorts of pains popped up. I've resumed the routine and the pains are going away. I'm not lazy about my running - not sure why I got lazy about this ;-)

    http://runningtimes.com/Article.aspx?ArticleID=18359

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's so easy to do, Jenn -- you get to feeling good and start to slack off on the cross-training. Nothing like a little hip or knee or ankle pain to smack you back into it, though, right? OK, that's what usually does it for me, anyway.

    ReplyDelete