About Me

My photo
After years of sloth, I am now a mama who runs and practices yoga. I write about exercise; parenting a grownup child as well as two little kids; and whatever is annoying me at the moment.

Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Kids need us!

A friend brought this Web site to my attention. It starts off "We heard that September is National Childhood Obesity Awareness Month, and people are saying that 1 in 3 of us are overweight or obese. Well, Mom and Dad, can you help us out here?" It's a great reminder that moms and dads play a huge role in setting good examples on a good, healthy daily diet (no, I'm not talking about dieting!) and getting enough exercise each day.

I used to smoke and felt awful that my oldest son, now 17, knew I smoked. I used to never exercise, thinking I was too busy and too un-athletic. I also used to eat fast food and crap all the time -- I reformed before I ever saw "Supersize Me", however, thank goodness, after getting quite chubby by my mid-30s. It's no wonder my oldest is still resistant to fruits and veggies. I blame myself. I kicked the cigarette habit more than three years ago and am so grateful that so far, the teenager seems to have zero interest in smoking. On my more successful parenting efforts, I've had great luck with the little toddler man on getting him to eat fruits -- yesterday he ate fresh pineapple, but not without some hilarious faces from the sweetness/tartness of it.

I know I'm not alone in feeling like parents are shouting against the wind in trying to get our kids to eat and be healthy, with bad, processed and attractively packaged foods, fast food kids' meals, video and computer games and fewer and fewer PE classes at schools. God, it's maddening! But I figure I can at least control what I do, my secret two brownie-binge from yesterday aside, and try to set a good example.

P.S. If you can tell me how to get my toddler to eat any kind of veggie, I would be eternally grateful.

No comments:

Post a Comment