About Me

My photo
After years of sloth, I am now a mama who runs and practices yoga. I write about exercise; parenting a grownup child as well as two little kids; and whatever is annoying me at the moment.

Monday, October 20, 2014

And here we are again...

My kindergarten guy, little M-man, is doing pretty awesomely so far this year, academically. 

If you ask him what 3+3+4 is, he casually replies "10".

He is reading basic words.

He "reads" books to us, colorfully improvising the storylines. It's fantastic.

He can scamper to the top of the playground monkey bars like no one's business. And I swear, he could probably run a 6 minute mile with ease, he is so lightening fast. 

Okay, the last things I just mentioned are not academic, but they still impress me.

Unfortunately, the downside of starting each new school year is that we're starting over. 

M-man has his IEP, which is supposed to be a road map that his teacher, case worker, social worker and special ed teacher can use in helping him succeed in the class group setting. We chose our neighborhood school this year and hope that was a good decision.

However, continuing the auto metaphor, the wheels are already becoming loose.

His well-intentioned, sweet teacher has no idea how to handle him. And my very smart boy knows it. He is pushing her buttons and being quite the turd.

The case worker is addled and pretty unresponsive.

Allegedly the special ed teacher and social worker are involved. 

But my feedback from school so far is the naughty things M-man is pulling. And the young teacher asking me for "strategies." Is anyone helping her do her job? I am at a huge disadvantage to manage anything that happens in the classroom.

We have gone through this scenario before, when he was 3 and at a private preschool, and before we even knew what an IEP was. As I have written before, that was a disaster.

I am not happy, not one bit. I will call the principal today to again ask for the team meeting I've previously requested, and which was ignored.

I'm not saying it's the school's fault. My little guy has struggled each year in class settings.

But if he is losing his shit in class, yelling horrible things and throwing stuff -- to me, it says he is trying to tell us something. Something is stressing him out and he can't/won't tell us what in a "normal" way.

If we don't fight for our kids, who will?


***


Week 12 50K training

Monday 10/13 Rest day/core work and stretching
Tuesday 10/14 5.3 miles
Wednesday 10/15 USDO. Late Tuesday night; early Wednesday morning work stuff.
Thursday 10/16 9.9 miles.
Friday 10/17 Group Centergy class.
Saturday 10/18 16.2 miles
Sunday 10/19 13.0 miles

Total weekly mileage: 44.3 miles
Total training mileage: 484.1 miles

No comments:

Post a Comment