About Me

My photo
After years of sloth, I am now a mama who runs and practices yoga. I write about exercise; parenting a grownup child as well as two little kids; and whatever is annoying me at the moment.

Wednesday, November 6, 2013

For my friend Meg: How to start and keep on running

A friend recently posted on Facebook that she has started running and asked a great question -- when do you start to actually enjoy running? She's two weeks into and it sucks.

Meg is an awesome person, a smart, hard-working Chicago newspaper editor with a wardrobe and closet to die for. (This is remarkable in itself as journalists are notoriously bad dressers). She's blond, willowy and can level a room with her sarcastic wit. Come to think of it, I really ought to hang out with her more often.

For you, Meg, my thoughts on how to keep running:

1. This sucks. When does it stop sucking? Sorry, sister, it's probably going to suck for awhile. First time I started running getting around a city block I was pretty convinced that running was horrible for you.

But, by about week 2-3, you'll immediately notice that while it's still hard to go around a block, it wasn't *quite* as hard as before. In fact, you'll be able to go a couple of blocks by then. Or more.

Longer term: when I started running about nine years ago, I first built up to running 1-2 miles around a track. Many of my runs were boring and awful. What kept me going is that I wanted to be a runner.  I just really did.

And, accepting that some runs are going to suck no matter how long you've been a runner. Sucky runs make you appreciate the good ones.

2. Go ahead and have that crazy mental conversation with yourself -- you know, the one where you are trying to convince yourself that this is insane and you need to stop this right now. It passes the time.

Sample Tammy conversation in her head during a run, circa 2004-2005:

"This sucks. How many more laps do I need to run on this damn track before I get to two miles? ... I want to be a runner. Runners seem so cool. Wish I actually knew some... Why does this blow? ... Look at that woman's shirt that says Ravenswood 5k on it. What is it about her that she can run a race? For that many miles? Could I do it? That's insane... I should stop running right now and eat something before I drop... No, wait, I promised myself I'd do two miles. WTF. .. My former boss Dan runs marathons and he's my dad's age. How does he DO this? ... What are we doing tonight? Oh yeah, meeting for drinks with friends. I'm almost out of Marlboro Lights. I better pick some up before we head out..." (For the record, I kicked the Marlboro Light habit in 2007).

It's okay to think hateful thoughts during running. Even seasoned runners do sometimes.

3. Find some running friends. When I began running once or twice a week, I realized I had no one to talk with about running. All my friends weren't runners. They were boozy journalists.

I met this woman and running blogger at a professional conference in 2005. I ran with her once during the conference and about left a lung on the road, I was so much slower than her. She was so kind and encouraging that I emailed her for the next few years everytime I had a running question. I sent her my race report for my two sprint triathlons, my first 5k (she totally understood why I cried at the finish line), and when I decided I wanted to train for a marathon in 2007 when I had never run more than six miles at the same time. In time, she connected me with an online runner's group, where I made real-life friends and learned a ton.

Where I met running friends like me was training for a marathon, actually, through the Chicago Area Runners Association. Relax, you don't have to run a marathon. Ever. But CARA and Fleet Feet have other programs -- one is something like, Couch to 5K that teaches you how to put one foot in front of the other and keep going. (By the way, I still run with many of those friends now. Birds of a feather run together...)

Some people don't need other runners to get through a run. While I am fine running solo now for most distances, I still want to run with friends. It's just easier. And write in my blog about running...

Even if you don't or aren't able to run with anyone, find some people you can blather to about anything running-related. I could talk running all.the.time. Just ask my non-runner hubby. :-)

4. Do you have the right shoes? Oh yes, fashionable Meg, shoes are very important in running, too to run happy. Make sure you're in the right ones or running WILL suck. I recommend Universal Sole at 333 E.  Benton downtown. They'll assess your gait, etc, and fit you in the right shoe. Get some stylish running clothes while you're at it. I knew you'd like that part. :-)

5. Forgetting everything else I've said, just keep putting one foot in front of the other. (Another piece of Dan advice.) I've counted my steps, starting over at ever 100, to get through long runs. I've told myself a thousand times -- just run to that tree. OK, just keep going to that next tree. I have Frankie Goes to Hollywood and Power Station on my iPod, for God's sake.

You don't have to become a running nut to be a runner. You're already a runner just by lacing up your shoes and getting out there.

Now, let me know when you want to run -- any distance, any speed, run/walk, no matter. Or, sit on our butts with a cocktail and talk about running.

And let me know when I can "visit" your walk-in closet sometime.





1 comment:

  1. Ha! When I ran in 2010 to get ready for the Hy-Vee Triathlon, running was the hardest part. I had to say over and over in my head, "in" "out" "in" "out" as my coach taught me to breath in through my nose and breath out through my mouth, other wise I'd hyper ventilate. Pretty funny really. :) Maybe your article will motivate me again after 3 years of couch potatoness. :)

    ReplyDelete