About Me

My photo
After years of sloth, I am now a mama who runs and practices yoga. I write about exercise; parenting a grownup child as well as two little kids; and whatever is annoying me at the moment.

Thursday, July 19, 2012

When mamas rock

**A post-script belonging to my last post, the review of Core Power Yoga: that order I got from the yoga instructor that I needed an instructor's note to leave class is rubbish. I just went back last week and one of the regular instructors informed me that was not part of their policy. She attributed that remark to an over-zealous substitute yoga instructor. And I did a headstand in class. Booyah!

Sometimes a mama's gotta rock. Sure, for this old girl that means cranking up Pet Shop Boys or M83 on my iPod. *whistle* My hub, who is a music encyclopedia and a music blogger, loves, loves, loves the annual Pitchfork music fest in Chicago, which ended Sunday. This year I decided to go for part of a day.

I will confess that I am not a fan of all-day music fests. I only want to see bands I want to see. I hate cigarette smoke -- a mandatory requirement of being an ex-smoker. And I hate porta-potties. So yeah, when my husband wants me to go to something like that with him, I eye him a little suspicously, wondering if he's getting amnesia about how high maintenance his wifey at such events. *whistle* But he's awesome about my running, so I want to embrace stuff he loves, too. At least sometimes. ;-)

And yet, I had FUN. I met him later in the day, so the heat was not too bad. M and C were happily home with "Miss Jennifer", the babysitter M adores and C is grudgingly coming to accept. (Baby C, at 16 months, is one tough little customer.)

We saw the Chromatics for a bit, followed by Hot Chip, who I've loved for years. And, which, by the way is AWESOME running music. Tuck that away.

Grimes


During Grimes, one of the headliners and who is amazing, we saw these kids sitting on their parents' shoulders. I would have gotten a picture for this blog but it was so dark and crowded. They were early grade school age -- I could only see them from behind. They were on their parents' shoulders and the boy had on blue noise-canceling earphones and the girl pink ones, which looked adorable with her pigtails. Below, a shot from Amazon.com of an adorable baby wearing the kind of headphones these kids wore. (God, those baby cheeks! Love them!)

Cute baby in headphones!

The hub and I agreed they were so cute. And my music-loving husband was really loving that because if he can combine what he personally loves with his kids? He's the happiest guy. (Don't get me started on the Chicago Bears training camp. Another story.) So he was loving this and I know picturing his kids in adorable headphones as the family rocks out at Pitchfork. Me? Well, I wondered how fun something like a music festival is for kids. These kids seemed to be having a really good time. And it was cute. And Pitchfork is awesome.... so....

But I remember going to Lollapalooza a few years ago and seeing tipsy parents in the VIP sections lounging on the VIP lawn areas, drinks in hands, while their overheated, bored-off-their-asses kids ran around. I felt bad for these kids. I mean, how fun is Kings of Leon for them? I don't know. It seems like the greatest idea when you can combine something you, the grownup, like to do with something that is fun for your kids. But live music? I think it can work, but it's not for every kid.

That said, maybe I will buy them cute headphones anyway. Blue and pink, of course.

No comments:

Post a Comment