About Me

My photo
After years of sloth, I am now a mama who runs and practices yoga. I write about exercise; parenting a grownup child as well as two little kids; and whatever is annoying me at the moment.

Monday, November 29, 2010

Laughing on Monday

I had to chuckle at a tweet by a friend of mine I spotted this morning: "If I see one more story about shopping, I'm gonna throw up." As someone who spent many years as a journalist, I know there are just the stories you *have* to do, like the obligatory New Year's resolutions and top 10 "anything" lists, Valentine's Day readers-send-us-your-true-love stories, 10 things to keep your kids from getting bored on summer vacation, back to school shopping and the OMG, people are camping out in front of Best Buy on Thanksgiving for the 4 a.m. specials. (Above, photo from suntimes.com of Best Buy in Aurora on Friday).

In past years, such holiday antics like people bundled in blankets for days outside of a mall in anticipation of Black Friday left me rolling my eyes, but also made me anxious a bit. Like, oh crap, I had better get my butt in gear for the holiday shopping season. This year I feel strangely calm as an unemployed person. I mean, I will come up with a reasonable, careful budget and shop eventually. It's like having financial guidelines, er, restrictions, have simplified the task for me. Plus, I have time to hit Target today on  Monday while everyone is back at work. In my sweats, too, if I want to wear them, haha!

I did buy one thing over the weekend, for myself. *wearingbagofshameovermyhead* I bought running shoes. Man, did they feel good on my feet this morning, all cushy and clean-looking. This morning also marks what I think will be my last run of the season in shorts -- it was 40 degrees and sunny, perfect running weather, but winter is knocking on the door loudly here.

Thinking about a marathon next year -- or heck, even just start running or run a 5k? I like this Weight Watchers story, actually, because it offers reasonable guidance on setting realistic goals. I'm a lifetime WW member from 2003 and have used WW to lose weight post-baby. Not sure I'd want to count points during marathon training, when I could out-eat an NFL lineman, but I know some folks do.

Happy running or whatever you're in to!

No comments:

Post a Comment