About Me

My photo
After years of sloth, I am now a mama who runs and practices yoga. I write about exercise; parenting a grownup child as well as two little kids; and whatever is annoying me at the moment.

Friday, October 8, 2010

Cheating at the Chicago marathon



I am going to run in the Chicago marathon Sunday! And I'm going to run only the last 6.2 miles to support a friend who is running the whole thing. I've always appreciated having friends run legs with me during marathons, and especially after Mile 20. Figured I should be upfront about not running the whole thing, after seeing this really interesting story about people who have cheated at the Chicago Marathon.(Photo credit above, Chicago Tribune)

I don't know why anyone would bother to cheat -- I mean, you can fool other people but you'd still know that wasn't a real race time -- how hollow and unsatisfying.

Now, back to me. I am so excited to get to run part of the race! In 2007 I got to run to about mile 16 when race officials cancelled the event mid-race because of the extremely high temperatures (upper 80s in October). In 2008 I was pregnant and spectated, and last year I ran mile 16-22 with another friend to help her get through the race. So now I will finally get to "finish" Chicago. I can tell the truth and say it took me three years!

No comments:

Post a Comment