About Me

My photo
After years of sloth, I am now a mama who runs and practices yoga. I write about exercise; parenting a grownup child as well as two little kids; and whatever is annoying me at the moment.

Sunday, March 17, 2013

Scream therapy

It's been 2 1/2 months since M-man moved to his new school. My hub and I have been half waiting for the other shoe to drop. We find ourselves tensing, waiting for criticism and judgment. We find ourselves apologizing.

Guess what? His teachers love him. And say that to us all the time. And tell us not to worry, M-man is fine.

Yes, fine.

I LOVE this new school.

The other day, I got this great, great email from one of his teachers:

I wanted to let you know that we had a great morning today.  Few minutes after we started the morning meeting, M-man walked up to me and said that "I want to go outside".  Then I asked him why and he said "he wants to run and scream".  He walked outside the classroom with Ms. AXXXX, ran / screamed  for a minute came back inside the classroom and participated in our morning meeting fully.  


We have been working on this since M-man started (we encourage him to verbalize to us if he wants to run because his body might need it) I was so proud of him that he was able to understand how he is feeling, verbalize it and take action. When he came  back few minutes later (he only missed 2 minutes of my instructional time) he participated in our morning meeting fully (asked questions, answered questions etc.) I just wanted to share this with you right away :) Please let me know if you have any questions.

I keep re-reading this email, it makes me so happy.

Instead of telling us there's something wrong with our kid, they're just, you know, handling him -- a nearly-4-year-old boy with overflowing energy.

Now, if only we grownsup could tell our bosses we need to go outside the office for a few minutes to run and scream...




No comments:

Post a Comment