About Me

My photo
After years of sloth, I am now a mama who runs and practices yoga. I write about exercise; parenting a grownup child as well as two little kids; and whatever is annoying me at the moment.

Thursday, August 26, 2010

Being skinny versus being fit

Like a lot of women, I spent a lot of years wanting to be skinny and wanting a certain number to appear on the scale. In my early 20s, the desired number was south of 130. By my 30s, when my metabolism started slowing down and I was truly stumped as to why I could no longer stuff myself with pizza anymore, I hoped for anything below 145. You get the picture.

I'm working on a cool freelance story now on being skinny versus being fat, which reminds me of the "old" Tammy and where I'm at now. I'm a runner and ran a marathon earlier this year, as well as a half marathon and some shorter races. I also do Ashtanga yoga once a week and try to squeeze in some kind of weight/cardio training in weekly as well. I'm 5'6" and my recent weight was 150, which I'm pretty OK with. Sure, there's the old voice that says that number is high, but I tell that voice to cram it. Don't laugh, you know you talk to yourself, too. After years of being obsessed with "skinny", I made the transition a few years ago to being fit, and I'm so much happier for it.

There are some interesting ideas on this blog I found. (Pardon the large buns photo on the lefthand side of the page). Also, Dr. Danielle Milano, who wrote "Skinny is Overrated: The Real Women's Guide to Health and Happiness at Any Size", apparently cites some research that as much as 70 percent of our weight is determined by genetic makeup. (Full disclosure: I just learned about this book yesterday and plan to pick it up soon, so I can't tell you much else about it).

What happened in the last couple of years that made me change the "skinny" mindset I had held most of my life? I'm still thinking about that. But I'm geeky excited to work on this story. Not obsessing about my weight and just being athletic has been liberating. I am excited to talk more about this topic.

2 comments:

  1. Now THIS will be a fascinating read! As someone who's always been obsessed with my weight (and remembers when it was in double digits just 20 years ago -- but I'm really short!), I KNOW intellectually that it's far more important how good I feel and how I fit into my clothes.

    Let's hope that your article will help reshape some of our attitudes and obsessions about all this... life's too short to spend it staring down at the scale!

    Maureen/UrbanTravelGirl
    www.UrbanTravelGirl.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Maureen! I am curious to find out if women's attitudes have shifted much since we know a lot more about working out, such as the value of strength and a strong core vs. cardio exercise alone, and eating better.

    ReplyDelete