About Me

My photo
After years of sloth, I am now a mama who runs and practices yoga. I write about exercise; parenting a grownup child as well as two little kids; and whatever is annoying me at the moment.

Thursday, December 31, 2015

2015: 1,275 miles and a year of mistakes, fun and awesome running

My 6-year-old son went to bed unexpectedly at 6:30 p.m. one night earlier this week, skipping his favorite dinner of Little Caesar's pizza, which we call "pizza store pizza" at our house.

He slept solidly for 12 hours. He does that sometimes.

The following morning, I came home from an early morning spin class to find him crouched in his room, groggily playing with some toys on his rug -- with no pants on.

I asked him "Hey buddy, what's going on? Where's your pants?"

Sometimes he has the cutest little voice in the morning. He squeaked in response: "Mommy, I made two mistakes."

What are those, buddy?

"I accidentally wet my bed." Ah, that explains the no pants.

OK, buddy, no biggie, You were really tired. What's the second mistake?

"I slept in my clothes, mommy."

Those sound like accidents, buddy, not mistakes.

I had some accidents and mistakes, too, in 2015. I didn't read nearly enough books. I spent too much time looking at my phone. I broke a toe. I swore too much and should have eaten more fruit. I never drink enough water. I need to be less judgmental and more forgiving.

All of that said, what a great year.

1. I'm so grateful to my awesome husband, who built dozens of awesome fires in our backyard fire pit, even somehow starting from sometimes rain-soaked wood. (He's also an Eagle Scout).

He put up with my alarm going off as early at 3:20 a.m. so I could go run 20-milers on trails 45 minutes or more away, as well as my general appetite for running and yoga.

And of course stayed with the kids when I disappeared to run.

He took a sledge hammer and smashed a chunk of concrete buried in our yard that was the size of a small meteorite, so he could plant new trees on the side of our house.

He was a great sport about spending a week last spring in California, seeing family and putting up with my fantasies about landing there someday, water crisis and runaway housing prices aside.

Etc etc.  He's great.

2. My kids, now 23 years, 6 years, and 4 years old. My middle guy, M.C., is having a great first grade year after struggling behaviorally in earlier grades, and after much drama and angst with some of the past schools he's attended. He's my complicated, analytical, whipsmart little guy, bless him.

I'm so happy to have all of them, proud of them, and loving where we're at.

Foggy December run
3. Running!!! 1,275 miles in 200 runs in 2015 in dripping heat, snow, rain, ice, fog and everything else Chicago throws at you.

Sometimes runs had themes to them, for birthdays and holidays. Fortunately, treats followed those runs. #lemonoreos. I also rediscovered my love of Fig Newtons.

My running friends were amazing as always -- the ones I've known a long time, and the new ones, too.

I didn't beat last year's 1,400+ miles thanks to breaking my toe last Groundhog's Day, but I ran my second 50K, a marathon and ran with my super friend Jessica in her first 10K race ever.

I ran the Chicago lakefront, including a spectacular "holiday lights" run on Michigan Avenue and Millennium Park with friends. Other runs included Waterfall Glen, the Illinois Prairie Path, the new 606 trail, Bullfrog Lake, the Des Plaines River Trail and the North Branch and Green Bay Trails. Also Veteran Acres in Crystal Lake, the insanely, bitterly cold but shockingly gorgeous Frozen Gnome 10K. Which my friends have talked me into again...

Outside of Chicago, I got runs in at Kettle Moraine in Wisconsin, Schaller, Iowa, Omaha, western Michigan, Cloverdale, Calif., Monterey, Calif., Los Angeles and Washington D.C.

4. My job. I'm really grateful for it.

Now, for 2016:

1. Run my first 50-miler, DPRT. And actually train smart for it. This will take some work and some research. Fortunately, I know a few ultrarunners... :-)

2. Do weight training at least once a week. How is it that I could get off my butt right now and run 20 miles, but I am dying doing a few pushups?

3. Drink water

4. Read books. Seriously.

5. Keep learning Spanish and try to be able to understand it and speak it. Six months of Duolingo has helped me to be able to read and write a little, which I'm really proud of.

5. Crew an ultra race.

6. Make more mistakes. Hey, it's gonna happen.

Running photos from the year:



























No comments:

Post a Comment