About Me

My photo
After years of sloth, I am now a mama who runs and practices yoga. I write about exercise; parenting a grownup child as well as two little kids; and whatever is annoying me at the moment.

Tuesday, August 25, 2015

I don't want romance. I just want to eat.

A few months ago, I decided that I would do an October marathon and a November 50K The marathon fits into the 50k training "schedule" I'm loosely following.

But there's something different about my now-annual ritual of training throughout the summer for a big fall race.

I kind of don't give a crap.

In a good way.

Oh sure, I run five times a week during the summer. My weekly mileage topped 40 miles each of the last two weeks. That is a lot for me.

And I listen to my knees make weird little gurgly noises when I do squats to keep my lazy hips strong. Hmm.

I feel more relaxed about training because it doesn't feel like training. It's just running, a lot. It's liberating. 

However, since I'm tightly wound and have a tendency to overschedule things, that means I just fixate about other things.

I'm trying to relearn some Spanish through an app called DuoLingo. It's pretty fun. I want to be conversational without having to find money and time to take classes.

This summer is also about cramming as much cool stuff in as possible when you have a 4- and 6-year-old. Zoo, beach, pool, camping, playgrounds, hosting barbecues -- it's been a blast hanging with them.

Being tightly wound and cramming stuff in has its price. My fairly patient husband wants to hang out after the kiddies go to bed. Normal, right?

Sometimes we don't eat until we have tossed their scampy little behinds in bed a few times apiece.

(Please tell me that I am not the only parent who sometimes fantasizes about paying someone to deal with the whole bedtime thing. OK, not really. Well, maybe some nights. I love cuddles once they're in bed, but the whole process of getting there. OMG).

I get grouchy while he is lighting candles in the backyard and making everything nice. (Who gets grouchy about their husband doing something nice on a Saturday night? Me.) Instead, I growl about eating. One night he said to me, "you just told me you don't want romance, you want to eat."

Bad wifey.

So maybe I'll lighten up about those things some day.

Maybe. There's only so much lightening up a girl can do.


No comments:

Post a Comment