About Me

My photo
After years of sloth, I am now a mama who runs and practices yoga. I write about exercise; parenting a grownup child as well as two little kids; and whatever is annoying me at the moment.

Saturday, February 21, 2015

Champagne and pink Crocs

Man, are we in the late winter doldrums. Not even Valentine's Day or Nordstrom Rack clearance sales can save February in the Midwest.

Everyone is cranky. The snow from the Groundhog's Day blizzard is gray. I'm even starting to agree with crap I read on Twitter. (Noooo!)

I'm also just about at my third week with a broken toe, my back has hated me the last month and oh yeah, no running.

Not quite the apocalypse, but desperate times call for, what else, a run-like-a-mama-late-February-sun-deprived/injured/winter-loathing survival kit.

Which includes:

Stationary bike in my basement. I asked my husband or this bike in 2003, when I got pretty fat. before I was a runner That bike helped me dump a bunch of weight and it's faithfully waited for me after I ignored it for 12 years. I've been riding it like a sweaty fiend and watching "Girls" episodes. Considering the weather, stationary bike has looked *pretty* good lately.
Didn't miss running that day.


Red wine every night. Don't judge.

Physical therapy (for the muscle spasms and pinched nerves in my back), laser treatments (encourages toe healing by reducing swelling and increasing circulation) and yoga (for everything else that's wrong with me). Breaking the toe has led to even more imbalance in my posture and hips than usual. Yay, old lady back.

Snow boots and running shoes. Only things I can comfortably wear. (I'm not complaining.)

Bike ride through the Champagne-Ardenne region of France!! OK, this is probably super geeky, but I discovered today at my gym that exercise bikes have come a long way. I biked to a video that simulated a ride on la Route Touristique du Champagne.  It was oddly deeply calming and engrossing to cycle through countryside and French towns like Oger and Avize. I didn't want to leave the bike and head back outside to this:
Go away, dirty snow.

OK, I'm overstating everything, sort of. 

My back is feeling better this weekend. Still pinchy and achy, but better. Which cheers me up.

I finished the laser treatments for the toe, supposed to aid healing, and will get X-rays on March 10 to (hopefully) find out I'm healed and back running. Fingers and toes gently crossed.

And to hopefully avoid ever stubbing my toe into a baseboard or furniture in my house again?



Yeah, I ordered these babies today, my first Crocs

And I promise: I will never, ever, ever wear them to France.




No comments:

Post a Comment