About Me

My photo
After years of sloth, I am now a mama who runs and practices yoga. I write about exercise; parenting a grownup child as well as two little kids; and whatever is annoying me at the moment.

Saturday, January 3, 2015

1,459 miles. Happy New Year!

If you had told me in high school that I would become a runner, I would have thought you must be an idiot. Because I hated running.

Glad I was wrong! At least about the running part. 

I ran 1,456 miles in 2014 beating the previous year's record 1,246 miles. Woohoo!

I think I may have deleted at least that many My Little Pony and Christmas tree photos off my 3-year-old's Kindle, so I know it's a large number.

Because I was busy mommying, working and running and training for my first ultra, I realized that I missed some stuff in 2014. I am not sure I know a Taylor Swift song or why "1989" is significant enough to name an album that.

If you tell me that is when she was born, I can tell you I was definitely not running that year. But I *may* have been wearing high-waisted, pleated jeans and ginormous glasses. Hey, it was stylish then.

I did see Frozen last year, but that's because I have a little daughter. It would be child neglect to not see that movie. At least 20 times.

I never had time to figure out why celebrities posed in nekkid photos and then were mad that they got out (hello, age of social media and clicks) or why Democrats forgot to vote in the 2014 mid-term elections. (I did, for the record.)

But I did discover a really great love of trail running. It's not easy to get to trails when you live in Chicago, but I did it as often as I could drag someone out with me.

One challenge of a new year is embracing winter running. A wintry mix scared off my running pals this morning, but I thumbed my nose at Mother Nature and headed out for an easy 10 miles.

Chicago lakefront, Jan. 3 6:10 a.m. Peaceful.

Chicago lakefront, 7:15 a.m. I have company!


It was a good run. I'm lousy at resolutions, but I'm vowing as an avid winter disliker to make myself get out there anyway.

And plot new trail and ultra races for 2015.

And then make the largest pot of coffee possible.

Happy New Year!




No comments:

Post a Comment