About Me

My photo
After years of sloth, I am now a mama who runs and practices yoga. I write about exercise; parenting a grownup child as well as two little kids; and whatever is annoying me at the moment.

Friday, January 25, 2013

Our daily plank

This week winter, like, real winter, showed up in Chicago. My run yesterday morning was in 7-degree temps, 9-below wind chills. (Somewhere in South Dakota, someone is laughing at this and calling me a cupcake). We got snow, finally, too.

What also reappeared was my spasm-y, achy back. My hips, my mid-back. It's like the right side of my body is doing all the work and revolting, while my left side lays around -- this is what sent me to physical therapy a year ago. I blame this in part from carrying around my lovable little butterball, aka my 25-pound daughter, who loooooooves me to carry her. Love the snuggles, but my back hates me.

So I am trying something very radical my husband told me about -- plank a day. As in @PlankADayNation and #PlankaDay. I am going to do one 60-second plank a day, and do a side plank on each side, once a day for a month and see if strengthening my back reduces my tendency toward wrenching it. Lack of strength has always been a culprit in my issues. I do yoga and it helps, but obviously I need to strengthen my back beyond what I'm doing.

My husband suggested this idea and I said great, we can do it together. On Monday night I said, let's do our plank! He looked at me and said, um, I'm drinking wine right now. I was like, I am too, we can still do planks. He did not feel like multi-tasking so we did not plank and I started mine on Wednesday (forgot on Tuesday).

Happy planking!


No comments:

Post a Comment