About Me

My photo
After years of sloth, I am now a mama who runs and practices yoga. I write about exercise; parenting a grownup child as well as two little kids; and whatever is annoying me at the moment.

Thursday, September 25, 2014

There's always a bright side

Earlier this week, I left work midday to take my 5-year-old to his pediatrician. Because, basically, he doesn't like pooping.

We struggle to get fruits and even harder, veggies in him. He struggles with constipation. We struggle to get him to drink juice with Miralax in it. He struggles to not go the the bathroom until he absolutely must.. And sometimes it's too late.

So the poor guy is sometimes pretty miserable. And pulling at his butt all day long.

His doctor a couple of weeks ago recommended a course of Miralax followed by a ped visit. I called right away and got an appointment for this past Tuesday.

II took the train to where I had parked the car. I picked up the car and drove home and parked, and then walked over to his school. It was a gorgeous, sunny day. 

His class was outside in the "learning garden", and was just lining up to go back inside when I arrived.

I smiled and waved, calling his name.

He actually smiled and waved back. I melted a little. It was sweet to get that kind of reaction from a little boy who is sometimes tough to read and isn't often demonstrative.

The better part came as we left school together. His friends were calling his name and waving good-bye.

And he kept yelling bye and waving back, and smiling.

It was just one of this awesome, awesome moments you have as a parent. You wade through the hard times, the times when you really don't know what the hell you're doing, to get to these moments that can make your heart burst with happiness in two seconds flat.

It also made up for what happened when we arrived at the doctors office, to be told our appointment was on Oct. 23, not Sept. 23.

Now I KNOW I was told Sept 23 because I was glad to get in so quickly, which is what the doctor suggested -- I even commented on that to the guy who scheduled the appointment.

So another month of trying to get my kid to poop and of him grabbing his butt. Sigh.

But it was so worth an annoying,wasted doctor's  office visit to see my little guy joyfully telling his buddies adieu.

He's come a long way.

***
This week I decided I was fed up with the chronic stiffness that has settled in my hips and lower back, despite yoga, stretching and heating pads. 

So I headed back to my physical therapist for advice. She rocks.

Surprise surprise, more core work to keep my hip flexors, etc from getting overworked. (You could probably bounce quarters off them right now, they are so tight....)

So I'm doing daily one leg bridge lifts in addition to single-leg squats, a ton of foam-rolling and some semblance of yoga each week.

The plus side? I feel good when I run. It's just when I stop I feel creaky and achy. 

But I'm not giving in to negative thoughts. Bridges every morning it is.

Wish I could say I looked this graceful when doing one-leg bridge lifts.


***

Week 8 50k training (50 percent of "official" training done!)

Monday 9/15 Rest day and heating pad time
Tuesday 9/16 5.4 miles
Wednesday 9/17 8.1 miles
Thursday 9/18 Skipped run - sick
Friday 9/19 Group Centergy class
Saturday 9/20 20.06 miles
Sunday 9/21 7.9 miles

Total weekly mileage: 41.5 miles
Total training mileage: 302.7


No comments:

Post a Comment