About Me

My photo
After years of sloth, I am now a mama who runs and practices yoga. I write about exercise; parenting a grownup child as well as two little kids; and whatever is annoying me at the moment.

Saturday, September 4, 2010

Being a teenager is hard... on parents

My oldest son starts his senior year of high school on Tuesday. My youngest guy is 17 months this week. So, I have a 17-year-old *and* a 17-month-old. It's kind of nutty. But it's usually pretty cool, because the older one can be a much blessed extra set of hands. They're pretty cute to watch together. I've been asked if it's hard to have a toddler again? Nope, folks, it's much, much harder to be a parent to a teenager. Like, bang-your-head-against-a-wall-and-mark-off-on-a-calendar-how-many-days-left-till-college-starts.

The latest incident wound up with the high schooler swearing at me and stomping up to his room. Um, where did kids learn that it's ok to swear at your parents? Geez, I wouldn't be alive today if I had done that. The bad mood started with him not making varsity on his cross country team a few days ago, and I think he's the only senior. Ouch. You hate to see that happen to your kid, but on the other hand, that *is* what happens when you blow off your off-season running schedule the entire summer, blow off your coach's emails and calls telling you he's counting on you for this season -- and, don't forget, blowing off your mom nagging you, too. Life's a bitch like that sometimes.

Things did not get better when he was invited to a sleepover of guys from the team. I'm cool with that, but I have always had a rule I have the right to check in with parents. You guys might be amazed to know how many parents just trust their kids at their word and don't check in with other parents. I don't always check because T is usually pretty trustworthy, but once in a while, yeah, I'm gonna do it.

Long story short, the weekend is beginning with a surly teen in the house and, currently, a toddler who inexplicably woke at 5:30 a.m. today and wants OUT of his crib. I need a nutty emoticon.

This morning I will run six miles with friends. It is 55 degrees outside!!! I'm pretty psyched.

No comments:

Post a Comment